ClearyX is a separate business unit within Cleary Gottlieb, a preeminent global law firm with 16 offices on four continents. ClearyX is focused on building alternative models of legal services through innovative and effective combinations of people, technology and process discipline. We are a team of forward-thinking subject matter experts, project managers and technologists working to improve how legal services are delivered and experienced. We have reached a stage of our growth where we are looking for a leader to develop and manage our marketing and business development strategy and to help us accelerate the growth of our business, including launching and monetizing new products and services.
This role is a permanent, full time, fully remote position. While the role will initially be the only role focused exclusively on business development and marketing, we encourage all members of our team to actively engage in business development efforts and the incumbent will support and coach other team members as required. As our business grows we expect to build a team to support our global growth efforts. There may be limited travel requirements for business or client purposes, and we aim to bring the entire team together in person once a year.
We value a positive, collaborative and solutions-orientated mindset in all of our team members. We are data driven, and relentlessly focused on producing high quality work as efficiently as possible, with a focus on client experience. We leverage technology and data wherever it makes us better, including in our own internal administrative work. Relationship building with internal and external stakeholders will be critical as will familiarity with legal products and services and how they are sold and consumed. We require excellent communication skills; an ability to exercise judgment and juggle multiple/competing priorities; and excellent problem solving skills.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in business development and/or marketing in a law firm, legal services business or similar role;
- Post-secondary educational qualifications in a relevant discipline;
- Experience or familiarity with product marketing and the development and implementation of strategies to market and sell new lines of business in the legal services context;
- Excellent communication skills (written & oral, including presentation skills) and top-notch relationship building skills;
- Keen ability to exercise judgment and juggle multiple, competing priorities, along with problem solving skills and a positive, resilient approach to the challenges of building a business;
- Experience budgeting and tracking business development and marketing expenses and assessing the return or expected return on such spending;
- Experience leading and building a team, or related experience across a more matrixed organization;
- The ideal candidate will be located in Canada or in one of the following US states: CA, CT, DC, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, MN, OH, WA, Puerto Rico, or TX; other locations may be considered.
- Building and supporting a business development strategy and program designed to accelerate the growth of our business, both supporting the Firm’s work and developing new clients and prospects;
- Supporting product marketing, including product strategy and brand assets. This will include assessing product market fit based on our ClearyX capabilities and work streams;
- Establishing and monitoring a budget for marketing and business development and tracking the ROI on related spend;
- Supporting internal and external ClearyX communications including public relations opportunities in conjunction with the Firm’s communication strategy and approach;
- Leading and supporting client meetings and pitches, including the development of RFP/RFI materials, attending client meetings, preparing custom materials for clients, and developing a marketing strategy including sponsorships and participation in conferences and programs; supporting the Firm’s marketing and business development initiatives as and where appropriate;
- Providing research and information for business development purposes including client presentations and pitches and sourcing potential opportunities.
Our Values & How to Apply
In hiring, we always consider our values:
1. We Have a Positive Attitude and Approach to Work: We recognize that challenges are best solved when we share ideas. We approach our work with a positive attitude, and with kindness and humility. We strive for continuous improvement and take a solutions oriented, can-do approach to everything we do.
2. We do High Quality Work: We trust our team to always deliver exceptionally high quality work in a timely way. We are honest about our capacity and capabilities. We are relentless about providing a high level of customer service and a positive client experience in working with us. We take pride in our work.
3. We Work Together: Sharing ideas is always welcomed and encouraged; constructive feedback and transparency are helpful. We take responsibility for our work and for helping each other. We recognize and celebrate our diversity of perspectives, experiences and ideas and we know that great ideas can come from anywhere and anyone.
4. We Communicate Honestly and Constantly: We value open communication; we encourage questions being raised whenever they arise, and we share as much information among ourselves as we can. We are committed to honesty and recognize that we should not avoid difficult conversations when they are constructive.
5. We Are Always Learning and Innovating: We will bravely challenge the status quo, constantly raise new ideas and always seek improvements to be made in our work. We recognize that the business of law is evolving and we must remain curious and constantly learning. We learn from our mistakes and share those learnings.
If our values resonate with you and you have the necessary qualifications, please apply via email@example.com. Compensation will be commensurate with experience. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.